Lacto-Fermented Carrot Sticks Recipe
- 6 medium carrots, peeled and cut into sticks
- 1 tablespoon whey
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 3 cloves of garlic, quartered (optional)
- Filtered water
- Place the carrot sticks into a litre mason jar (or other litre sized container with a lid that fits snugly) and add the rest of the ingredients, shaking gently to settle the carrots if needed.
- Fill to within one inch of the top with filtered water.
- Cover tightly and allow to sit at room temperature for 4-7 days; you can try them at 4 days and see if you want them to be more sour or not, to get them more sour/soft leave them out at room temperature longer. Because the carrots are more dense, they take longer to ferment than other lactoferments like sauerkraut or pickles. They also stay crunchier!
- After fermenting at room temperature, keep in your fridge- they last for months!