Fish for fertility
Fish oils support fertility, pregnancy and baby
Fish oils are such a powerful contributor to fertility and pregnancy. Ideally, women and men should take fish oil omega 3 fatty acids (efa’s) supplements or have it supplied through their diet for at least three months before they conceive.
Omega-3 fatty acids consist of EPA (Eicosapentaenoic acid), ALA (Alpha-linolenic acid) and DHA (Docosahexaenoic acid). DHA, in particular, is critical to your fertility and your baby's development.
Take a look at how they enhance female and male fertility , pregnancy and baby…
Fish oil omega 3 fatty acids and male fertility are a perfect match.
Studies confirm that men who regularly took fish oil supplements experienced fewer fertility issues due to the improved quality of their sperm.
• Sperm cell membranes are made up of efa’s and cholesterol. A large percentage of this is the DHA efa which is abundant in fish oil. DHA is integral to the health and viability of sperm and this has been documented in research where men with fertility problems have much lower DHA levels.
• When good fatty acids are not sufficiently present in a man's body, cholesterol takes its place in the sperm membrane. This increased amount of cholesterol reflects low efa’s and is an indication of low fertility and prevents normal maturation of sperm.
Female fertility, baby health and fish oil omega 3 supplements are a winning combination too
The benefits of fish oils are extensive – reducing inflammation, regulating reproductive hormones, increasing blood flow to the uterus which helps with endometrial development, increasing cervical mucus which is needed for sperm to connect with the egg.
Studies support the benefit of Omega 3 efa’s in reducing the development of pregnancy- induced hypertension (pre eclampsia) and gestational diabetes. Other suggested benefits of fish oils include full-term pregnancy with corresponding lower rates of premature deliveries. Eicosanoids found in fish oils have been found to correct the hormonal imbalance, including insulin, in PCOS. Supplementation should continue following delivery to reduce the likelihood of post partum depression.
Long chain omega 3 fatty acids are essential for enhancing cognitive development and vision in the growing fetus. The need for DHA is greatest in the last trimester of pregnancy.
Where will you source your fish oil?
Smaller fish like sardines and anchovies are recommended as their heavy metal load is less than larger fish. Always opt for wild-caught fish over farmed fish. Farmed fish are grain-fed which doesn’t supply omega 3 fatty acids. The omega 3 acids are from the plankton eaten by wild-caught fish. Eating wild caught 2-3 times week should supply adequate amounts of this beneficial oil.
Buying fish oil capsules
Fish oils vary in purity, processing, packaging and source ( the fish the oil is from).
Read labels and ask questions- you may have to pay for quality!
• How many fish types are making up this oil? Choose one pure fish type to deliver increased Omega 3 essential fatty acids.
• Does it provide antioxidants for preservation and free radical protection?
• Does it deliver a high content of EPA and DHA?
• Does the production process retain vital nutrients by not using excessive heat?
• Does the manufacturer have a quality purification process for filtering out common fish toxins like mercury and other heavy metals?